Rusty is back at work! I hate it for so many others that the news isn't better but I am very relieved that he has returned to work. We continue to pray for blessings for our family as well as each of yours. I didn't say much this time until he went to work (he is currently there) because of the disappointment from last time. They only called last night.
Of course he is in the middle of tiling the kitchen floor. Literally the middle of the floor. He and his friend Robby couldn't get it done last night so I guess I will deal with a mess for several more days. That is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I just hate the mud all over and it is odd having the fridge in the living room. It will look very nice when it is done though, a simple nuetral color and pattern. Nothing too crazy for Rusty.
That is all I am wiped out JB was up again last night. I tried to let him cry himself back to sleep and I held out for almost an hour and finally caved. Of course I don't think he even opened his eyes when I picked him up, he just stopped crying and went to sleep on my shoulder. I am at a loss as to what to do about his waking up at night. I try to let him sleep through it but that is so hard and of course I started this holding out right when Rusty was called back to work so I am paranoid about waking Rusty as well. Again - a sacrifice we may have to make for a few days.
Our pediatrician's office is pretty straight forward and a little tough on moms when it comes to stuff like this. Ms. Katherine the Nurse Practitioner was actually a little more understanding of my own desire to sleep and to comfort JB. However lately he wants to sit up for an hour or two! That is with no lights on, no TV and no toys! What is so interesting to him in the dark? That is why I have taken their advice to let him cry it out. He has to learn to go back to sleep when he wakes up at some point. I don't think it is the molars causing the trouble any more. Who knows though, this is one of those situations that make moms crazy. However I am the mom and I have to get it under control now because I won't be able to deal with it in a few months. It sounds harsh but he needs to figure out our roles pretty quickly. Any input is appreciated!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ahhh... I so remember that with my first child. I don't know about you, but as a new mom I never wanted to let her cry. So I rocked her to sleep ALL the time. And that led to her needing me to fall asleep. When she was 15 months and I learned I was pregnant again I decided it was time to let her "cry it out."
The first night she cried until she threw up! Then I cried.
The second night she cried for more than an hour, but eventually fell asleep. It got a little better each night, until she finally learned to fall asleep on her own.
It's tough!
With the next 2 kids I started letting them fall asleep on their own way earlier, it was much easier that way! Not saying they never woke up at night, they did. But you take it as it comes.
Not sure if that's much for advice, I feel for you. And I hope it all works out well.
~Kelly
It isn't fun! I don't have a problem with letting him cry to sleep. I really didn't want that habit from the beginning because I remember a couple of the kids from babysitting being tough to get down. He still fusses sometimes but never for more than 10 minutes. ( I think he is beginning to wean himself from two naps a day.)
I just didn't understand at first what was going on with him waking at night so I would go and get him. Then I realized (too late) I created this habit for him. Things always are so much harder at bedtime or at night for me.
Your advice does help - it is hard no matter what the reason or time.
The Ped's office told a friend to let her son cry and if he throws up, take him out, clean it up and then put him back to bed. They are dealing with a child that sleeps with them (not the problem) and sleeps horribly! He doesn't get good sleep and neither do they. But letting him cry it out is proving to be really hard on her. I understand but I can't keep doing this with JB.
Thanks Kelly!!
That's great news about Rusty going back to work. What a relief!
It is hard to let the baby cry. Have you tried going into his room and just rubbing his back for a few minutes without picking him up? I always read the less stimulation (don't pick him up, turn on the light, talk to him other than saying "shh" if he's crying, etc.) the better it is to get him to go back down.
We've always been pretty strict on the sleeping issue--we never give him something to drink or eat in the middle of the night, we have never brought him into our bed to sleep--and Cooper's been a pretty good sleeper, for the most part.
Post a Comment