Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hey!

We are currently hosting Rusty's sister, Kelly and her son Nickolas. It is pretty fun having a little one running around. Of course she had to move most of the decor we have to keep it from being destroyed by Nick. He is, like most 1 year-olds, into everything and very curious. Of course said toddlers also like to pretend they don't understand the word no, or stop, or whatever the new PC term is.

I have to upload some new pictures. You can all see Rusty in his tuxedo from Jody and Brooke's wedding. I think I mentioned that in my last blog but still haven't put the pics on my computer. I decided I need to put them on a disk first so I don't have to back them up later. That is a project I am dreading, saving all those pictures onto disks - ugh!

I REALLY need to get that done before hurricane season. Although, according to the latest projections we are only in a low to moderate (right on the border)risk area for a major hurricane landfall. That would be a refreshing change for the area. Three in less than a year is quite a bit. Of course we really didn't have any damage from Katrina, but it was too close for anyone's comfort. Things are finally looking much better around here. The EPA is getting onto anyone that still has damaged buildings that need to be demo'ed. Yeah! I only know that because they are really bugging my boss JJR, aka Mr. Reeves, about the Tiki House Motel.

Of course the Tiki was so bad before the storm, some may not have known it was totalled by Ivan. I'm exaggerating of course, but it was an old school 50's style motel.

OH!! I won't be working for JJR after Friday, May 19th. I start with Supreme Paper Company/Supply or something like that. I don't know too much about what I will be doing other than special projects. I feel really weird about being done here and starting there. Not really excited, or happy, or sad, just indifferent. I hope that is a good thing. I guess I have gotten used to starting a new job so that doesn't scare me but I thought I would be more nervous or excited or something!

I was recently told by someone that they thought I operated under a "spirit of fear". The term was a religious one - she is a very religious person, but she meant that I am fearful in my actions or reactions. She asked if that was true. I think I do worry a lot, I know that, but I don't consider myself afraid enough of most things to prevent me from doing them. I also said I don't think most of the people I know would agree with that. I then started to get kind of upset with that assessment. possibly for no reason but I don't like that I was being judged for worrying/stressing about things. I went from a very tiny school in the country to one of the largest Universities in the country; lived in the city (in some rather scary neighborhoods); travelled with three other women to a foreign country with nothing more confirmed than a flight there and back; went skydiving (which rocks!!!); tried waterskiing for the first time at 27 or 28; and moved to Florida with no one other than Rusty. Well, maybe the waterskiing isn't such a big deal, but it felt like it was the next day.

However, I think considering how scary it was to leave everything I have ever known in my life to start a new life even though I didn't fully understand why I needed to do it, is kind of gutsy. I still don't really know why I came to Pensacola, Florida, six weeks after a major hurricane, no job, no place to live and no idea what to expect. Other than feeling I had to and not just for Rusty (but he was a pretty good incentive).

Whew, I am done with my self analysis and trying to make myself not feel like a scaredy cat. I will say however, I did get a gun to keep at home. I think that with leaving my comfort zone I couldn't feel safe here, at least not for a long time. I feel pretty comfortable now though, but I still have my gun. I'm not a bad shot either.

Ok am feeling guilty for not working, but I literally have nothing to do. The person hiring my replacement doesn't want me to continue working on the transition from quicken to Quickbooks (the new person should set it up so they understand it - GOOD LUCK!). That is not conceit on my part, two other accountants have tried to do it and it is a lot more complicated transferring the account we call OAA. I know what this person wants it to do, but if it doesn't do what JJR wants he won't let the new person use it anyway. She has great ideas and I know what she wants to see, but it is going to take a long time and manual entries on the last 2 year's worth of checking entries.

I had to get everything else done by yesterday because JJR left the country on vacation today. This is it. I have nothing to do, but I said I would stay and do this transition, but someone else has now told me not to do it. What is a gal to do? Milk the clock? What's he going to do? Fire me? hahaha.

ciao!
b

No comments: