Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What is going on?

It's been a few weeks since I last updated and to avoid the nasty notes about nothing new, I thought I had better add something. This will be short but not necessarily to the point. There really is no point to this message.

Random info. That is what this email is all about.

I have a map of the general area in which I live. Rusty was complaining that it was out of date, at least in relation to the businesses mentioned on it. Well who cares was my thought! I only wanted it to give folks a general idea of where I am in relation to AL, downtown Pensacola, the Gulf of Mexico etc. So, those I have the chance to see on this trip home will have to settle with an outdated map that has incorrect names of marinas and restaurants.

American Idol fans! First off I have to say I am not a big fan. Too much involvement required from me to watch. However this season I have seen two episodes! Rusty and I have become band wagon fans of Taylor Hicks, Soul Patrol man. Apparently he is originally from Birmingham, and has family in Orange Beach, AL just up the road. Every time the show is on they have viewing parties at the Flor-A-Bama. The local landmark known for being half in AL and half in FL.

On a side note, the half and half thing is probably the largest stumbling block in the rebuilding efforts of the place. Rumored to have a familial connection with the original owners of First Ave. in Minneapolis, you can get an idea of the look of the place. Really just picture First Ave on the beach, add a lot of undergarments hanging from rafters and funky rock-a-billy bands playing all the time and a lot of folks on vacation - that was the Flor-A-Bama. All that is left are their outdoor patios and a semi trailer. I don't think they can meet all of the new codes and crap Orange Beach is throwing at them, or maybe it is FL but I don't think so. Orange Beach as a town is only about 20-25 years old. I think the Bama was there before the town and now the town is feeling a little high and mighty about it's development criteria.

Of course the Mayor of Orange Beach and another key member of the city staff were recently charged with accepting kickbacks from developers of the Phoenix condominium developers. Apparently the owners of the Bama aren't offering the right kind of incentive. I have not heard much more since the Mayor was arrested with drugs in his possession at his Pheonix condo but maybe there is still hope. (I didn't fact check, but most of that is true, some details may be off, if so I apologize)

More Orange Beach information. The woman from Kentucky that allegedly shot her preacher husband was found there with her three daughters. I wonder what brought her there? That is a heck of a drive from Kentucky or Tennessee or where ever they were from, I forgot. I am getting a little tired so I guess I should go now.

I hope to see as many people as I can when I am home, but it is a short trip. If I miss you this time I will for sure try to see you next time!

Love,
b

No comments: