No damage at all at our house. In fact, I can even see tomatoes still on the plants. We are far enough west that we were spared any damage and barely even lost power. Getting gas is still a pain in the ass, but it could be worse for us. There are still a lot of people that are now homeless.
FOr those of you that may have been down here to visit - remember the ROE signs in the yards of homes? I finally found out what that means. For everyone else - many homes had their insurance company name and claim number on wood outside their home and then also this other messsage ROE - 546454 (some number). No one I spoke with knew what it was. Today on the radio I found out what it means. When a FEMA claim or other kind of claim (Not insurance) is filed, the homeowner must sign a Right Of Entry form giving workers permission to be on their property so they can put up a blue roof (tarps to keep out the rain) or do other necessary things. I don't know what else. Otherwise the owner literally could shoot, on the spot, any person on their property. Looting laws are strict here and you don't have to ask questions if someone is on your property especially after a storm.
There are some gas stations (12 I think) under investigation for price gouging before Dennis hit. The prices went up about .30 a gallon. Almost all did go up and of course they will claim it is due to storm activity cutting off the gas supply in the Gulf. Yet .30 is more than the majority in the area so they have had their accounting records subpeoned (sp?)and will get hefty fines and possibly jail time for it if found guilty.
At work we have decided to leave the windows boarded up since Emily is now on the way and seems to be taking the same path as Dennis (and Ivan). This is truly not normal. There has rarely ever been a hurricane in FL before August. I guess I am getting more familiar with things and will not be quite as panicked for the next one. I doubt that I will stay in the house, but I may stay closer to town. Getting back from AL can be tricky if the cops are strict on enforcing curfews and access. Or if the roads are flooded, or too many trees down etc.
Oh! No, Rusty is not willing to move to MN any time in the future at all. Too cold, fish are too small, water is fresh not salt etc. I do like it here other than the storms, but I like MN other than winter. Hmm....
See you soon!
Bridget
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment