Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Sex and the City?

Having just finished watching another fabulous episode of Sex in the City I am feeling the need to express overwhelming emotions about my friends. There are a few truly wonderful women in my life and they know who they are. I keep lamenting about not having any friends here yet, but I don't think that deep down I really care. I have friends, the above mentioned women. These ladies are some of the most amazing people I've ever met. Of course they are that is why I have them in my life. I am only looking for acquaintances here, women to go and do things with to occupy my time. I don't want anymore friends than I already have. It is so odd to live what sometimes feels like a double life. In many ways I am happier than I have ever been, and in others more sad.

Who would have guessed that an episode of Sex and the City could spark such emotion for the women I love - and the man. What irony is it that to be with such a wonderful man I had to move so far from my friends; the very people always with me as a single person that are the most happy for me in a relationship?
To be fair I needed to move away from MN in order to feel as though I have had a full life. I have known for some time that I couldn't just have MN as my address (recall the talk of Los Angeles). For some reason it never occurred to me that by having that other address I would have to deal with missing my friends so much.

Now this is not to take away from family and male friends, or even acquaintances I have. But the episode reminded me of the women on whom I rely to listen when I am most upset, happy, scared or just bored. Our lives have changed so much over the years - high school/college/careers/marriage/children/divorce/death and more. It amazes me that through these changes and the differences in our lives that we can still call each other and talk about whatever is going on at that moment, and it will feel as though we just talked the day before - no matter how long it has been. True, there are some of us that don't get past the changes in our lives and it is sad to lose a friend for no real reason other than we have grown apart from one another.

These women that I have written of, without naming (my self included), are not like that. We are smart women that know that there is life beyond work, the clubs, school, boyfriends/husbands/girlfriends, babies and more. Each of these things is important but just a part of who we are. Each facet of our lives makes us all the more interesting and dynamic. These are women I miss terribly some days yet on other days, I don't miss them at all. Why not? Because, I know I can call them to catch up and I'll spend hours on the phone with them; forgetting that I am in Fl and they are elsewhere.

After all that, I realize how lucky I am and I feel so happy to have each of them in my life. Like I said who would have guessed an episode of Sex and the City would prompt all of this emotion?

Take care all. Updates on the rest of life will come later.

Ciao!
b

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love and miss you a ton too Bridge! Brady and I can't wait to get down to see you. Tell Rusty to have that fishing boat gassed up!