I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season. With lots of food and drink (whatever your preferences are) enjoyed. I enjoyed the food way too much and now have to diet in order to keep fitting into most of my pants. Rusty and I both have gained weight. Too much eating out and cooking rich foods I think. Not to mention all of the holiday sweets people gave us. I say gave us since I don't bake and don't care to learn. I prefer cooking.
For New Years Eve Rusty and I went to the little bar by our house, Hub Stacey's. It is named after the owner. It is a cute little place right by the public water access to the International Waterway (the IW is a waterway running from Texas to FL used for shipping and in our case recreation). We really like it and the staff there is great. They always have great bands playing and Grey Goose when I am in the mood for that. We are often the youngest people in the joint, but still manage to always have fun. I bet that is why Rusty's single friend Robbie doesn't like going there with us. He would rather go to the Flor-A-Bama which hasn't re-opened since Ivan.
The Flor-A-Bama sits right on the borders of AL and FL hence the name. They mark the line with yellow tape or paint running through the place. I have heard the owner is the brother of the guy that used to own First Ave. Of course First Ave. has been sold/closed/opened since I was in MN, but there apparently is a connection. At the very least the owner is from MN. I had considered working there until I began to hear stories from when Rusty and Robbie were frequently going there; once I heard their stories I reconsidered. I guess I will stick to a more formal atmosphere if I go back to serving part-time, or even full -time who knows?
One of the last times we were at Hubs one of the servers came up to us and said, "You two are just all ate-up with each other." I was confused as to what she was saying since we weren't eating anything, just having a drink. Rusty explained that it meant we were in love and apparently showing it. We were only sitting close and laughing together about something, nothing gross. I tell you, I learn new sayings all of the time. I know "fixin" will soon become a standard in my vocabulary. Used of course in place of many other verbs such as planning, preparing, going, turning (as in turning 30 this year). Fixin replaces all of these things and the more southern you are the more slurred the word is. It sounds more like either fittin or fissin. sorry Y'all but it will happen. I used y'all before I left MN.
Oh no! Robbie just came over and they are fixin (hehe) to sing Karoake again. It is going to be a long night of Old Forrester and badly sung songs out of those two. I must go now and investigate what I will need to get my coffee/vending business off the ground.
Love,
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment