Thursday, November 11, 2004

Job searching sucks

I hate it! Looking for a job must be one of the most stressful things to do, next to moving across the country that is. I may be exaggerating, but it honestly is something I despise. Many know this as I procrastinate doing it so well. I am glad I waited until I moved here to go ahead and look for a job though; the area is very spread out and I could easily spend hours driving to a low paying job.

That is the other thing that has surprised me; how little jobs pay here. I knew there was a decrease since the cost of living is so much less, but this is ridiculous! Good heavens, I don't know how people survive as singles trying to own a home. I may never understand. I will continue on in my search have no fear! If nothing else I am learning a lot about the area - historical sites, points of interests, the history, where to have fun other than on the water or beaches.

There are a ton of festivals here. This weekend alone is the Blue Angel Homecoming weekend and there will be two days of airshows (which means whether I go or not, I will be able to see and hear some of the air stunts). The Navy Blue Angels are based here. Well, I think they are Navy if not, Airforce. (SIDENOTE: I did find the Naval Base today while making a wrong turn trying to get to Pensacola Beach. We never did find the beach. Isn't it amazing how hard it can be to find a 3 MILE LONG BRIDGE that takes you to a major tourist spot!?! Literally I couldn't find 3 mile bridge. When I arrived back at home I figured out we were within a half mile of it but couldn't see it. WHATEVER! The roads and roadsigns here suck. They don't tell you anything about where you need to go! But, I digress and the roads can be another entry.)

I was telling you about the festivals. One of the others which is 10 days long is the Frank Brown International Songwriter's Festival. There are local, and not local, musicians performing at bars/restaurants/pubs all over the area. It is pretty cool and they have some great acts. It was nearly cancelled as the place that held the kick-off and checked in all of the acts, the Flor-A-Bama, was severly damaged during Ivan. But the show must go on, so I am guessing Rusty and I will check out a few bands this weekend and next week.

My dad and his friend are here today, leaving tomorrow. They will miss much of the fun especially since it has rained nearly every minute they have been here. Oh well, trying to show them around forced me to get out and drive. Rusty is taking over tonight though, I am sick of wrong turns.

Oh! Some of Rusty's friends are coming over for dinner on Sat. Anyone have a creative idea for an accompaniment with steak? We will be grilling. I thought for desert I would make a trifle-type -thing (if I can find all of the ingredients). I want to look good without going overboard and am not sure where to go with it.

Catch y'all later.

B

No comments: