Thursday, April 16, 2009

Birthday Party



These are the cute little cupcakes Anne, Rusty's mom, made for JB's birthday. They were so cute! They were really good also. She is such a help to us anytime we need her. I wish I had taken a picture of the scarecrow they made to go along with our farm theme. Harry was his name and he was a full-size scarecrow. We had the little chicks at his feet and it was really cute. JB thought he was funny. Rachel, one of the little girls I watch during the week, was not so impressed with Harry. Anne and David took Harry back with them to their house and are going to use him in their garden.




Here he is just after blowing out his candle, with Nick's help of course. JB isn't quite sure how the candle thing works - or even how to specifically blow something out like a candle. Can you see the little barn Anne made out of a gingerbread house kit? It was so cute. We moved all of the cupcakes and the barn outside from the house at the last minute so the set up isn't as nice as it was inside. That barn was too cute.

It seemed like everyone had a nice time. I had a couple of games for the kids to play but they were pretty happy with the sandbox, sidewalk chalk, and the wagon JB got for his birthday. The bigger kids pulled the little kids around the backyard for a long time! I couldn't believe how much they all enjoyed that wagon. It is a really nice wagon and the canopy makes it nice for the summertime sun and heat. JB and I take walks everyday now and go up and down our street in it. He loves it. I am sure he will get bored soon enough with the scenery, but for now it will have to do. We will take it with us to the parks and festivals this summer and fall. At least that is my ambitious plan for now. I haven't tried fitting it into the trunk yet - we will see how that works.



He got off to a slow start on the cupcake. He wasn't quite sure how he was supposed to eat that. Mommy never gives him anything that big to eat.

Rusty's uncle Roy was trying to give him a hand. Roy is so great with the boys; he really enjoys them. He plays with him all of the time and JB loves it. We were at their house for Easter and Roy and Sandy had a little Easter egg hunt for each of them. JB caught on by the end. There were only eight eggs for each of them, but he knew to pick them up and put them in the basket Memaw was carrying for him. Thankfully we were with family for Easter - I had totally overdone it with the party and couldn't do much at all the next day or Monday. I literally did nothing more than read on Monday. It is odd how you can keep going as long as you don't take a break. Saturday afternoon I tried to take a nap, but was so uncomfortable I couldn't even sleep. Anne and David took JB with them for a couple of days after our Easter gathering. That was a very smart decision on our part. I was right to think I would need the recovery time after the party more than the help before the party.



It didn't take him long to get into the swing of things and he loves CAKE! Sugar Sugar Sugar. Little did I know but while I was trying to lay down after the party Rusty gave JB ANOTHER cupcake! That kid was practically shaking he was so hopped up on sugar! It was kind of funny but also a little disturbing to see how hyper he was. Thankfully he was in a really good mood and still went to bed well. He had never had that much sugar before. The most he gets is in his flavored yogurt and even with that I try to keep it limited. Don't worry I am not a sugar nazi - I just know he will get plenty of it in the future. I am going to limit it while I still can.



His famous smile. This is how he was for most of the party. He only was upset once and it was when too many people were trying to hold him and touch him. He loves people and socializing but not having thirty people trying to hold him all at once. Who can blame him?

The grown-ups seemed to enjoy the party also. Rusty made smoked chicken for them to eat and it was wonderful! I ate it later that evening and it was still good. He bought almost exactly the right amount. I was sure there was too much, but they ate it up. We did have a ton of pasta salad left over though - I finally got rid of most of it at the Church office. It was good, but you can only eat so much of the same thing. The kids seemed to like their turkey sandwhiches, cheese, and the fruits and veggies. Of course they all liked the pasta salad as well. I didn't realize kids would like that until our wedding and little Collin devoured it.

I think that is all. As far as his actual birthday - we didn't do much at all. He had a balloon with an animal tied to it that we gave him to play with and that was it. I still have another gift I could give him, but he has so many toys I may keep hanging on to it. It is actually left from Christmas! I also get to avoid the trouble of having to bend over to clean it up everyday. Maybe that will be the gift from Timothy for JB. That is a good idea. I'll do that!

Good night!
B

3 comments:

Shelly Pagel said...

great pictures Bridget- sounds like a fun party!! And I'm with you on sugar.. poor Henry doesn't really get any treats either, like you said, they'll get plenty when they are older! : ) Glad things are going well.. JB just keeps getting cuter too- he has a great smile!

MN girl said...

I saw poor Henry's face! JB constantly has bruises as well, but he has not yet given himself a shiner like that. I am not looking forward to that day - I know it is coming. We both have outdoor boys it sounds like. JB is a lot like Henry - I hope they get to meet sometime soon!

StacyBraatz said...

Awwww what a fun birthday party, maybe I should steal some of your ideas for Owens party!!! JB is adorable Briget!!!