I loved my brief visit there and hope to go back again soon. If not for the lovely views and historical tours, then for Lady & Sons Restaurant. My favorite Food Network host, Paula Deen's restaurant is in Savannah (the previously named Lady& Sons). She is a hoot on her show and has great food. I am going to include a few photos from the trip. None from her restaurant, we only had time to pick up a few souveniers, next time we will dine!
This is the fountain in Forsythe Park (I think I spelled it correctly-the joys of a blog, no need to fact check anything!) It is gorgeous! The park itself is beautiful. It's full of old oaks with spanish moss draping from them as though it is trying to decorate the trees. I just love it!

Obviously here are shots of my friend Nikki and me by the fountain and her boyfriend Brad. It was a little chilly that day but in the sun, by the fountain, it was perfect!
Just one last picture! We all thought this was pretty cool when we saw it and especially liked the fact it showed on the picture we took. Don't you just love a rainbow?

Oops! I was wrong. That was the last picture from Savannah. I thought since I was talking so much about the Mardi Gras tree I should include a photo of what it looks like. It's not as fun in the light of day. I also hadn't noticed the pine cones so much until I looked at this photo. Oh well, what's a gal to do?

I rewatched Sweet Home Alabama this evening. My friend Mark and I were discussing the location of it and comparing it to what little I know of Alabama. Having watched it with new knowledge was enlightening.
Number one, I never realized all the AL scenes were shot in Rome, GA. Well that right there just sucks. I am sure there are plenty of locations in AL that would have been suitable but whatever. Secondly there are only a few places in AL on the Gulf Coast and most aren't rural. But the beaches are pretty. I noticed a sign in there with something about the Gulf Coast. I am also guessing that is where the lightning scenes are supposed to take place but I didn't double check that.
While the characters live in Pigeon Creek (or something) I think the plantation she claims to have lived in was in Greenville. If not, there was some reference to a Greenville, AL. There is a Greenville, Alabama (there are Greenvilles everywhere in the South and probably in the North for that matter). In fact, Greenville, AL is where we spend many weekends with Rusty's parents. They technically live in Georgiana, AL (I have previously mentioned this was the birth place of country singer Hank Williams Sr.), but Greenville is where they do a lot of their shopping and socializing. For reference it is a town much like Cannon Falls. Stores and some restaurants, but no movie theater or other entertainment. Locals there also call the two blocks of centrally located buildings "downtown". It isn't a quaint as Rome, GA I guess but Georgiana would have been perfect.
I also haven't seen any plantation homes in AL. I know there are some but they are more available in GA. Ok, that is enough about AL. I must be thinking of it since Rusty and I will be in Birmingham this weekend for the George Strait concert. we are very excited!!
Ciao tutti!
b
1 comment:
Okay- it's July 7th- is this blog dead??? regular pics and updates please!!
Post a Comment