This is from the first post of today - Camille was in 1969. I think it was Elena that was in 85. That is the one Rusty remembers. He saw a tornado cut throught the backyard in Elena.
Sorry if I get the facts wrong. Not having been here I sometime confuse them. I am praying for the people of New Orleans. It could still swing east, this is terrible of me but I hope it doesn't, but it doesn't look like it will. I just hope they were able to get most of those people out of N. O. For Ivan there were a lot of people left there. That time they got lucky Ivan hit here. There are currently no flights out, no rental cars, and public transportation and shuttles to shelters will be ending soon if they haven't already stopped. There isn't anywhere for them to go with out these resources and the money to pay for it. Don't forget with gas so high a tank is a lot of money for a lot of people. That is the minimum someone would need to get far enough away to be safe. Then hope they can afford and find gas to get back. Once they let people back that is.
After Dennis it wasn't a problem. I know I came back before the curfew had let up but they weren't stopping anyone from traveling. I think I only would have needed to show my ID to be let go. I don't think this will be the same. It wasn't after Ivan.
There is a voluntary evacutaion for Escambia County, FL (not to be confused with Escambia Cty, AL which is across the border - whose bright idea was that?). that means the water is going to be high and they recommend it. We are staying. His mom said this house is 16 feet above sea level. While the water is getting higher in the canal it should be ok even at the current estimates of an 8-10 foot storm surge. That is what we think. It doesn't seem as though many of our neighbors are leaving. I have been hearing the sirens from the fire station down the road all day. I don't know what that means.
I will go now. Hopefully our power won't be out too long (maybe not at all) and I will be able to update. I need to finish cleaning the house anyway. Get the bathtubs ready - we may still fill them with water in case there are any problems with water from this.
b
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment