Saturday, June 18, 2005

a little better this time

Ok, I am getting better. I know there are a few people still checking the blog for updates. I haven't forgotten, just was a little busy I guess.

I painted one of the main walls in the living room a bright blue - kind of turquoise. I know, it's bright, but I think I looks pretty good with the brown furniture. I am just not sure exactly which way to go from here. With a caribbean theme or stick with the darker colors like the browns and turquoise (or Tiffany blue). Input is welcome. I like the Caribbean/Island thing because I live by the Gulf and feel I should take advantage of that. The exterior is very traditional middle America looking. I NEED to spruce up the place on the interior to hide the dark wood paneling. It kills me too that it appears so much lighter in photos so no one can really see how dark it is in the house. It isn't hard to paint over, and it doen't look bad. It is obvious that it is painted paneling, but Rusty swears he will put up sheetrock next winter (now he needs to fish). I thought about waiting, but I can't wait another 6-8 months to brighten up this place.

The next projects will be painting the guest bathroom, spare bedroom, and taking down the wallpaper and painting the kitchen. I also need to figure out how to get years of grease off of the kitchen cupboards. I am not sure what it will take aside from a lot of muscle. I make Rusty do most of his frying outside on the porch now, but I think he did it a lot inside before. I just hate the smell of cooking oil in the house!

So, 30 has come and I am glad that birthday is over and done. Sara R. and I were talking about it and she was right, it was a big deal until it is your birthday and then no one really mentions it again. It is nice. I am not worried about it anymore. There is really nothing I can do anyway, so I just need to get over it.

Of course leading up to my b-day there was a tropical depression (it was upgraded to a storm by the time it made landfall - right over our house). I joked that even nature was depressed about me turning 30!

I was really nervous and by the time it came was greatly relieved. Just rain and wind, a thunderstorm in MN is worse than that was. The rain we had here in April was worse than that storm. Of course I wasn't the only one to freak out about it, many residents did as well. There are still many people in the FEMA trailers and the trailers can't take winds above 45 miles per hour. A tropical storm is ok, but many were asked to go to storm shelters just in case. Flooding is the biggest concern in the area for a tropical storm. The wind is really nothing and there isn't lightning or thunder.

What was kind of crazy is that storm followed almost the exact same path as Ivan. Many people were upset, because we are still dealing with so much work from Ivan. Insurance claims not settled, work to be done, clean-up still going on all over the place. However, it is getting better all the time.

Rusty is so sweet he bought me a generator because he knew I was so nervous about the hurricane season. That will allow us to be able to run a fan, the freezer maybe a TV. Not entirely sure. We do still need to stock up on canned good and dry foods, some drinks (soda and water) and propane as well as regular gas - the last two we do just before the storm. We are set on batteries and candles, at least he thinks we are. His mom did all of this in the past, so he doesn't really know what he needs to get. It is so frustrating!! For as big a procrastinator as I am - he is worse. I never thought it possible, but it is true. He waits until the last possible minute for nearly everything not related to fishing. He is all over it when it comes to fishing. Now, I don't mean to say he doesn't get it done. He absolutely does, but he hates to start things, because he wants to finish it all at the same time. He is very amusing and frustrating at times; aren't we all? I am sure there are some small, little even minute flaws I have that he doesn't like. ; )

I will be home at the end of July for my sister Deena's wedding (it is the 30th). Rusty and I hope to see many people while I am there. I will keep people updated as to our plans while we are there so we can hopefully meet up with you. My family loves others around so I am sure you will be welcome at any of those activities (maybe just not at Deena's and DJ's wedding hehe). This will be the first time our family isn't the largest part of the guest list - which is saying a lot! Aunts, uncles and cousins comprise about 100 people - that doesn't even begin to cover some of the extended family members with whom we are close. Mom and Dad do a great job of limiting their guests they know all too well how many people that could end up being at a wedding. I am not even sure what Deena's guest list looks like, but Jill and Kelly had nearly 400 and 350 respectively. For a small town area that is pretty good, but for many of my friends that is crazy! I guess we will see what happens. It should be fun.

I can't wait to see y'all. I'm fixin to have a good time in MN. Just a couple of the things I say more frequently now. Not good.

Oh! You know where I think I need to take Rusty? To the Calhoun Beach Club. I always loved the view from their patio. Does anyone know of another place with a view of the lakes in Minneapolis? I would love for him to see the juxtapositon of the city and the lake along with all of the activities going on in that area. I am not trying to convince him to move to MN. I know that wouldn't happen. I just want him to see what I love about it. The availablility of nature and a metropolitan lifestyle all at our finger tips.

See you soon!

Bridget

No comments: