Now just so everyone is aware I did write a posting a week ago. It was really short and obviously didn't show up, but I did do it! Somedays this things annoys me.
I got Nickolas, Rusty's nephew up on the site, but the pictures of Collin aren't cooperating. Not sure why, but I will figure it out soon, I know you are all dying to see a picture of him. They are polar opposites our two nephews - Nick has these big full cheeks and Collin is skinny and wrinkly and has speed bumps for wrinkles on his forehead (Deena's comment not mine!). He is almost six weeks old and still doesn't weigh as much as Nick did when he was born. That probably accounts for the differences in their labor - Deena four hours, Kelly 48. I still feel awful for Kelly, but she wouldn't trade it for anything - they both have adorable little men.
It's been pretty quiet around here now that we don't have any guests coming (hint hint - you are all welcome) and I am not going anywhere. We planted a garden, lots of beans, cucumbers, sweet peppers, okra and squash. Some other stuff as well, but those will be the major crops.
I have already asked my friend Suzanne for a recipe for these amazing spicy pickled green beans. Any other recipes or suggestions are welcome.
Joyce - your input is definitely needed on the refridgerator pickles, you know how I love yours! I think they are an acquired taste, maybe not. Many folks never acquire the taste for refridgerator pickles. I like them a lot!
The orange tree already blossomed and we are looking forward to a LOT of oranges this fall. I may need to send some home to some of you. That is of course if a hurricane doesn't come through and rot them all like last year. No peaches this year either. I guess you need two peach trees for them to produce fruit and one died in the hurricane. That is too bad, I was really looking forward to picking peaches off of the tree and eating them fresh. Possibly I would have even made a cobbler or something - maybe not, but now I will never know.
The Snapper fishing season opens this weekend and Rusty is hoping to get out and fish. He has his boat in the shop right now, he's having "twins" installed. Meaning two outboard motors. This will enable him to feel safer (with a back-up motor) when he goes 40 miles out into the Gulf. He thinks he will get me to go out with him. Yeah RIGHT! I still am not comfortable with the idea of being far enough out that I can't see land - which is just past 5 miles. 40?!?!? Of course what is the difference really 5 or 40 miles? I am shark bait either way; I can't swim that far in the ocean - or a pool for that matter!
I will go Snapper fishing with him, that is close to shore. I will of course bring a book with me to read and my new beach umbrella. The sun is crazy hot down here. I was out for less than an hour at 4 pm today and got color. Many think that because I don't often have color, I can't tan. I actually tan pretty well and have never burned very much. I just haven't in the last few yeas tried to get a tan because of - a million reasons. Down here in the summer there isn't much of an option. That is fine, I will still wear a lot of sunblock and be careful. The UV index is so much higher here that you have to be careful. Rusty is just as adamant about sunblock, it is kind of cute.
I also have to quit bleaching my hair, too much sun is going to freak it out and fry it. I found a new stylist that seems to be pretty good and for what she charges, she had better be. I do think that is a good place to be extravagant - a hair stylist. If they don't know what they are doing it is awful. My cousin taught me well - Marlyce wish you were here!
I guess that is all, we are ready for the beach with our umbrella and lounge chairs, we are dieting so we look decent on the beach and can't wait for summer. Just a couple of weeks for the wind and rain to die down and the humidity to set in. Can't wait, well maybe I can wait for the humidity, but not the rest.
One last little bit of excitement - the city didn't plan well for the streets to handle rain water. THe streets flood every time it rains a couple of inches. Now, in their defense it has downpoured all across the south over the last couple of weeks, but it is ridiculous how quickly the roads are flooded here. On my way home from work last week my car stalled at the corner of a major intersection in the downtown area (downtown - like downtown Rochester, not like downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul). Half an hour and a lot of rain later a tow truck and Rusty came to my rescue, and my car's. Thankfully it was just wet and not flooded out, it ran fine the next morning after we replaced the air filter.
Ciao!
B
P.S. - if I do the Mullet Toss (Mullet is a fish and yes, you toss it), which may also be the Grand Re-opening of the Flor-a-Bama I will fill you in on it! I may just go to take pictures to show you that the people here really have a party to see who can toss a fish the furthest. It is always an experience here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment