We are fine. No one in this area suffered too much. Of course Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key flooded, but they are islands on the Gulf. We all expect as much. Doesn't make it any easier for the residents, but they are aware of the pitfalls of where they live. Most of them chalk it up to the price they pay for paradise.
You know more than we do about what is happening elsewhere. We as far as I know are still without power at our house. We lost it about 7:30 am yesterday and it still isn't on at 12:30 today. This is nothing compared to what others are dealing with so we are being patient. Fortunately Gulf Power thinks they will have most of this area up again by this evening. Last night in the few hours before dark (they couldn't get out until late afternoon) they restored power to 44,000 customers. They only have about 70-80,000 more for today. They have repeatedly proven how good they are and I have no doubt that except for a few hundred (at most) by tomorrow at the latest we'll be up and running. Thank goodness because it is 90 and humid here.
There are people here complaining about the little damage or inconveniences we have had. That frustrates me. All we need to do is pause for a second and think about Biloxi, Gulf Port and New Orleans.
I have heard criticism of the people that stayed saying they were stupid or irresponsible. I absolutely disagree. Of course in some instances that may have been the case, but I promise of those that stayed, it was because they couldn't get out. They are not stupid they realize in N.O. they are below sea level. It is expensive to leave. The gas and food at a minimum will cost most families a couple hundred dollars depending on how long they plan to be gone. For Rusty and I, with Dennis, it was that much (a couple hundred dollars)and we only purchased a minimal amount of supplies and gas. Then consider trying to find a hotel for several days with possibly no future income. A family struggling to get by already can barely afford to go to the Superdome - even there you had to bring supplies. They couldn't afford to leave and may have paid with their lives - not a fair deal.
Then the prospect of no electricity, water, sewage, garbage pick-up, flooding, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, in a city such as New Orleans - rats, snakes pollution and more. Mississippi just lost their main source of income for the state. The casinos in Biloxi are what were keeping Miss. financially afloat.
Sorry, I must get back to work now. It is abrupt but I have to deal with Reeves' money now. Talk to everyone soon. Hopefully tonight we will have power and I can update more later. I hope I don't tire you with tirades and concerns. As I said you know more than I do about the condition the people in LA and MS are in now.
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment