Thursday, April 14, 2005

Venting about Music

I just finished watching a 60 Minutes special on Loretta Lynn. Yes Loretta Lynn the country music singer. Now before you all stop reading it centered around her latest album - a collaboration with Jack White of the White Stripes. The album is Van Lear Rose. They recently won 2 Grammys for it and the critics loved it, so do fans of both musicians. However, country music, Nashville, and the Country Music Association all but ignored it. There are two things that bother me about that, age discrimination in music and talentless performers. (for those looking for a concisely written thesis statement, well thought out arguments with background research stop reading - the show just ended and I immediately came to vent)

I am sure ageism happens in pop music just as often as in country. It seems as though rock is more open to welcoming their elders onto the music scene. Before I begin I must qualify the comments made here - I am by NO MEANS an expert on music. If there is ever a question regarding bands/music/history I would be required to refer you to some of my other friends for the information. A few that immediately pop into my head are Nikki B., Jeremy I. and Jake D. They all have an extensive knowledge of music and excellent taste in bands. None is a country fan but all seem to appreciate the classics in country (I think) - Johnny Cash, Wille Nelson, Lorretta and a few others. Musicians that have repeatedly crossed over to "popular" music with artists in other genres.

I typically end up listening to the radio. Mostly because I hate buying new CDs. This stems from having been being burned by many on which I love one maybe two songs, and hate the rest. That just kills me to waste that kind of money for music I don't like. Nikki has exposed me to some great stuff in Minneapolis. Here the selection does tend toward the country end of the spectrum which is fine by me. I like country but I do miss the edgier side of MN as heard on Cities 97 or REV 105 (is that what it is called? I can't remember)

I do get frustrated that the radio stations play the same 20-30 songs all day long and you never hear anything but what is currently hot. Bless his heart, I like Kenny Chesney, but I do not ever need to hear three of his songs in a row on the radio.

Why does the music industry gravitate toward artists that can barely sing, can't write, and are mostly good for wearing clothing that doesn't cover their body and gyrating on a soundstage? I have to specify the soundstage because many can't perform live without the vocals being played over their voices. Ashley Simpson is not the only singer to have a tape playing, she just didn't handle it well.

It took Johnny Cash's death to get country music to pay attention to him. The AMA's (or was it the Grammy's?) even acknowledged one of his last released singles "Hurt" with a nomination. Justin Timberlake won that award and had the decency to realize he had no place being compared to Johnny Cash - maybe 30 years from now but not yet.

SIDEBAR: "Hurt" was written by the lead singer of Nine Inch Nails or some other rock band by some guy who's name I can't remember - I'm thinking of Trent-something? Sorry folks no good with that stuff, See? I do know that the writer was initially pissed off Johnny Cash was going to record the song for his last album. He thought no way could some old country singer sing that song the way he wanted it to be heard. Then he listened to Cash's version. It took on a whole new meaning, beyond the breakup of a relationship, and encompassed a whole life story- in one song.

The voices may not be perfect, but the songs are written and performed with feeling beyond what young people can express. It comes from the wisdom of a full life lived. Topics that no one could delve into with such grace and beauty in their 20s. Listen to the songs on the radio - Get your Eagle On, My Place, Slow Songs. Candyshop etc..... Sex is great and all, but is that all their is to life?

SIDEBAR: Yes I know I am generalizing here I can - it's my blog!

I don't watch American Idol, but saw an interview with Simon whatshisname and he made a great point that gave me hope for music. MTV, VH1, and CMT (for the country fans) have about 10-20% of their air time alloted to the playing of videos. That's it! Some may lament this fact, but Simon seemed to think this will force musicians to be better singers and performers. (must be why he needs to be tough on singers) Without the demand for videos like it was in the 80s and 90s artists will need to peddle their music in live performances. Hopefully.

I don't think I will ever be as into the big tours as I once was. I can walk down the street to see some fun local musicians. True they may do covers and will likely never be rich from singing, but they have fun and so do we. living in the south will bring a lot of opportunity to hear and see some wonderful musicians. Music is everywhere here. It was in MN but it is different here. Maybe it is because you can be outside so much more. Walking down the boardwalk at the beach you always hear a different band playing - country; blues; bluegrass; jazz; sometimes rock; usually not alternative unfortunately, but it is always fun. For such a small town, they have a lot happening right here in Pensacola. Keep in mind New Orleans is just a few hours away! (The previous sentences were shameless ploys to get people to come and visit - the summer is fun!)

After all this typing and talking about the classics I think I am going to catch Kenny Rogers, James Taylor and Wille Nelson over the next few months. And I'll be damned if I don't find a Loretta Lynn performance also! She's over 70 and touring more than most performers in their 30s. I may be the youngest person there, but I will love it all the same.

Thanks for indulging my rant about what little I know about music. If there are contradictions please feel free to comment. I doubt that many will agree but I was really frustrated thinking about how awful the radio stations are and how limited the access for the general public is to really great music. this is my journal so you get to share in my thought process. Scary huh?

Just to top it off, playing now on one of the music stations is Nelly and Tim McGraw's song "Over and Over and Over and Over and Over........

B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice rant,Bambi.

Trent Reznor....Nine Inch Nails. You were right on the Johnny Cash song. I liked his version better than NIN, and Garbage use it as their led-in for their current tour. (saw 'em at First Ave last week...excellent!)

The problem with music is that it has nothing to do with talent anymore. It is all about money. Britney? Mariah? No. Not talented. But they make money for record labels. Those with true talent are ignored until it is too late. Cash is one example, Warren Zevon is another. They get no recognition until they die, and then it's back on to the schlock.

The big tours you don't really feel the need to go to anymore is where those artists make their money. They sure don't get it on the sale of records. (record sales are pennies per copy for artists).

And while I'm no country fan, Justin Timberlake, even in twenty years, should never be compared to Johnny Cash.