Wednesday, November 10, 2004

thoughts

I have been distracted by trying to figure out how to upload photos onto this stinkin thing. Really I am sure it is easy, I just need to figure it out - it is probably another instance where if I read all of the instructions things would be much clearer. The photos were of some of the damage in the area. A lot of people were curious about it so I thought I would include some photos. I will also later include photos of the house, the yard, favorite places in the area etc.

I have thus far determined Walmart has the best produce, but Winn Dixie is much closer to the house. Walmart is where most people go for everything here. The nearest Target is 40 minutes away by the airport so I will go with Walmart myself for many items. I must admit, it is a very nice one here. I have images of the old one in Hastings which was so cluttered I hated it!

We went to dinner last night at Triggers. Their specialty is Triggerfish, something I had not heard of until coming here. They are commonly caught in the Gulf and are very tasty. The seafood stuffing though was a bit much and I think I don't like it. The Triggerfish though was very good. For a coastal town there are not many sushi places. Triggers has a sushi bar in it, but so far that is the only sushi bar near us. Further in town I saw a sign for Ichiban which is a sushi bar, not the steak house like in Minneapolis. I'll go and check it out sometime.

For having lived here his whole life, Rusty is not very familiar with Pensacola other than the Perdido Key area. That is the area surrounding the actual key and leading into AL. It is odd, I tried to make a point of learning as many new things about Minneapolis/St. Paul as I could, from restaurants, to stores and sights. I was by no means very knowledgable but made an effort. Many people in this area like to stay in this area. Rusty teases me by telling me within a month I will know more about Pens. than he does. I already discovered where the drycleaner is - he had no clue; the post office - only take cash and local checks; and MoJo, the one and only coffee shop. I also learned through eavesdropping that the coffee place was hard hit after Ivan and had to let go a few employees. Coffee is not so important when rebuilding a life. I will have to be sure to offer another product or service that will keep people coming, even in a disaster. Input would be good.

Yes I do still plan to open a business, but where is the question. The area I had been thinking, Perdido Key proper, was terribly damaged after Ivan so now would be tough or great I guess. There are plenty of construction workers present, but many of the buildings are needing to be rebuilt/restored. Financially, I will have to wait. I also need to get the book that will give $100,000 to open a coffee shop! You know the one I am talking about, it is on TV.

Off to go job search some more and then go pick up my dad and his friend Richie from the airport. They are coming today to get his truck and drive it home to MN.

Ciao Tutti!

No comments: