Well, we finally made it. The drive wasn't what I expected. It rained for about 21 of the 22 hours we were driving. Not just sprinkling, but heavens opening up and pouring down on us raining. I have a new hate for semis/18-wheelers that cut me off in the rain and cause white out conditions. I know of a few truckers and here is a tip to them - DON'T DO THAT TO AN OLDSMOBILE ALERO!
I wrote a list of things I needed to share with everyone back home in MN. Rusty found the list and thought I was crazy for writing these things down. Some things are too bizarre not to share. For instance, on three separate occasions I heard what seemed to be commercials or PSAs discussing the rules of voting (remember I was on the road the day before and of the elections). I kid you not - these ads were in the form of a voter calling a registration office and asking questions regarding voting. Questions about voting multiple times, being paid to vote, using fake names etc. I am not lying! The first time I heard it I thought it was a radio joke, the second time, hmm.... not sure what to think. The third I beeped Rusty and asked him what kind of backwoods, redneck, hillbilly places were we driving through. I am pretty sure I heard one in southern Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee. Now given the areas I guess I could assume a few reasons why these were aired, but honestly, I don't ever recall needing to be told I can only vote once, or that I can't be paid to vote. WHO NEEDS A COMMERCIAL FOR THIS? If anyone has an explanation or if you heard any of these ads in MN, please let me know! An explanation aside from where I was that is.
Ok, for as much fun as I make of the south it really is very pretty. Nashville is really a large city, we didn't get to stop there because we were too tired to make it to Kentucky much less Tennessee and Nashville, but the whole area is really lovely. Illinois sucks. The only good thing in the whole state is my friend April in Chicago - even Chicago sucks to me right now - stinkin tolls.
I also saw a buch of signs for Tennessee Walking Horses - World Famous. Has anyone in MN ever heard of these things? Maybe not so world famous. I wouldn't have thought twice if I had seen similar signs in Kentucky but was curious about these horses in TN.
Misc. - only one Prince song heard in 22 hours - guess which one? Purple Rain. I found that appropriate considering the weather but how ironic!
Wednesday Rusty took me on a tour of a few of the beach front properties in Pensacola. It was amazing to see the damage done by Ivan first-hand. How much was ruined, how much has been done, how much is still left to repair and even cleanup! I knew it was bad and that it would take a long time to fix, but it didn't really sink in until I saw it first hand. The city is covered in blue - literally. FEMA covered all of the damaged roofs with blue tarps (until they ran out and used green or tan). If anyone is flying into Pensacola and you get a chance to see out a window you will know what I am talking about now. Anyone worried about me not experiencing snow, don't! Driving through Perdido Key, FL and Orange Beach, AL made me feel as though both of MN season's were here - construction and snow. Here though the snow is white sand bulldozed off to the side of the road in banks and the construction is due to the repairs being made to buildings. I will hopefully go and get some photos to post. They will never truly show the damage, but will maybe give an idea of how Pensacola was effected. The news couldn't show Pensacola for so long because they were still doing recovery in the area. It is so sad to see. Yet even though it is this awful there are signs all around, Stay Strong Pensacola and a couple other similar messages. People are moving on with their lives and businesses, it is amazing.
I will write here frequently I hope, so check back often. I thought this would be a more effective way for those that want to know what is going on to check, and for those that don't really care (there are some we all know it) to not be bothered. On a side note, I heard about this through my cousin Heidi's husband Steve Sellars. He is stationed in Iraq now and will be there for a year. He has already been gone for training for several months. Please keep him and the other men and women stationed overseas, and their families, in your thoughts and prayers. Regardless of your thoughts on war, and the election, they are doing there job and risking their lives everyday.
Talk with everyone soon!
Love ,
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment